What a weird thing it really is to be so lost in words on paper that you lose consciousness of an outside world. Because of school I really had no time to get this stuck in a book-world, but now that I have time I have been getting increasingly fond of novels as each day progresses. And I have to admit my silly infatuation with fairy tales. I always feel like somewhat of a dork for liking simple childish fairy tales. But I can't help it. And by simple childish fairy tales I mean those based mostly off of the Grimms Brothers. Not Twilight or anything of the sort which I consider to be grime on the good name of fantasy novels. But, lovely ones such as The Chronicles of Narnia or those by Robin Mckinley and the authoress I just discovered, Shannon Hale.
The truly good fairy tales are those that draw you in and make your own life feel more complete. Fairy-tales that make your own life feel empty and meaningless are not good ones at all.
In "The Goose Girl", the fairy tale I just read, by Shannon Hale, I identified strongly with the heroine who was a princess who often felt socially inadequate, but through her friendship with geese, her horse friend Faladar (with whom she could speak), and her conversations with the wind, she was empowered and at the end of the novel, she found herself. Simply written but very poetic, it was one that drew me in like I used to be drawn into books. It felt so good to live in that book realm again. To be magnetically connected to a book like when I was a child. I think there really is magic in the pull of a good story. Which is why I love acting so much.
I feel kind of like a little nerd right now. And that is a funny word "nerd". But, I hope you will pardon me. I think I might go take a walk with my book and find a nice bench or something outside to start my next culprit, which is the seventh Harry Potter in preparation for the movie that comes out in July.
NERDY Carla strikes again. But, the thing is, "The Artist's Way" is teaching me to like what I like and not give a whit what others say about it. So I don't care if you give me a little eyebrow lift of condescension. You can just sip your coffee and watch the news. I am going to read a fantasy novel. That's right.
Hehee. Okay. Have yourselves a sunshiney Saturday.
And I will leave you with a video which feels exceedingly appropriate right now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuRuwR2JSXI
I'm readin' a book man.
~Flo
No comments:
Post a Comment