Haha. Well, unlike Cassandra in "I Capture the Castle" I do not write this sitting in the kitchen sink. Rather, I write this sitting in the sunshine shining in from the windows in one of the academic buildings of UMD. It is rather early, 8:15, and I sit sipping coffee. I decided to walk Emily to her class today so that she wouldn't get lost, but although that meant early rising, it also means I have time to write and read. Which are the most delightful of morning activities.
So, I will tell you about yesterday and my move into my new abode. We drove up to the house, which is an old brick castle-looking house with a tower. The day was sunny and green and resembled Ireland and mom and I walked up to the house for my meeting with Cathy, the maintenance lady. She was a super cute gray-haired woman with one of those perpetually surprised expressions and a very energetic and flustered but sweet personality. I will be taking pictures soon and maybe posting them here, but the house is a dream. Beautiful woods floors, big tiled bathrooms, hidden doors, multiple staircases with you find after wandering the house, a beautiful kitchen, and a charming living room complete with an electric fireplace. Emily and I set up our bedroom which is a tiny little room, technically the maid's quarters of the house, which has a little door leading to the balcony outside. One of the 3rd floor residents, Henry, a hippy-esque fellow, gave us a jade plant which we named Agias Agamemnon. I still, however, cannot grow accustomed to the fact that I will be living in that fairy-tale-like house for the next month. It seems very unreal. I want to be sure to "capture" the castle and not miss out on the novelty of our stay there. To truly experience the house and this summer month in Duluth is what I would like to do.
I brought my castle-reading books with me which include "The Tale of Desperoux", "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie", and "Brideshead Revisited". Sitting on the balcony and reading one of these I think will be one of my pastimes. I also want to make sure to write letters, and also to take walks along the Lake Superior boardwalk. I don't want to miss out on anything. I also just found out that my first read through doesn't start until tomorrow evening, so I have this evening to make dinner with Emily and maybe take a walk or something lovely like that. I am so dang thankful. Okee. Well, I guess I will end this post now.
P.S. I really like this book art.
Love, Carmen
(Today's Music: The CDs of Beirut and Annes of Green Gables)

No comments:
Post a Comment